Amtrak makes a quick stop at the Thurmond depot. The original depot burned in 1903, and was replaced by the current structure, built in 1904. In 1914, a 15 foot extension was built on the east end of the structure. The Thurmond passenger depot is a rectangular two-story wood-framed structure. Most frame passenger deopts on the C&O Railroad line were one story structures. The Thurmond passenger depot was built to a nonstandard design due to Thurmond's importance as an assembling point for coal trains. Additional space was required for file storages, clerk's offices, the trainmaster's office, yardmaster's office, car distributor's office, and telegrapher's cabin.
(Rick Barbero/The Register-Herald)